What is First Friday?
First Friday is a free public event led by ArtsGreensboro and Downtown Greensboro Inc. (DGI). Every month, First Friday attracts new and returning patrons of all ages to celebrate what Downtown Greensboro has to offer during the extended hours of 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. on the First Friday of each month.
How can Downtown businesses participate?
Participating merchants must be located within the Business Improvement District (BID) and program a special event between 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. on First Friday. ArtsGreensboro and DGI encourage these events to be arts-related. The arts include poetry readings, music, visual arts, demonstrations, exhibitions, dancing, etc.
There is no fee to participate; of course, businesses may purchase their own First Friday ads in local media.
How can artists, musicians, and vendors participate?
Artists, musicians, and vendors may take part in First Friday by contacting Downtown businesses and inquiring about collaborating on events. A list of downtown businesses can be found at downtowngreensboro.org.
ArtsGreensboro also maintains a list of artists, musicians, and vendors who would like to participate in First Friday.
Please note that ArtsGreensboro and DGI do NOT hire artists, musicians, or vendors for First Friday events.
What happens if there is bad weather or if First Friday falls on a holiday?
First Friday happens every month – come rain, shine, or holidays!
Where can I park on First Friday?
Downtown Greensboro has ample parking available, both on the streets and in parking decks.
Here are some helpful tips for using parking in Downtown:
- The first hour of parking in the decks is free. After the first hour, the rate is 75 cents per hour.
- Parking is free at all four City-owned decks after 6 pm entry until 9 pm. After 9 pm, there is a $2 flat rate per entry until 3 am.
- Parking in City-owned surface lots is free after 6 pm, Mondays through Fridays.
- All parking decks and City-owned surface lots have handicapped parking available.
- Enforcement of parking meter spaces is from 8 am to 6 pm Mondays through Saturdays, excluding Sundays and City-designated holidays.
For more information about parking, visit greensboro-nc.gov.